November 22, 2010

The People's Queen


Last weekend when we went out to The Gardens, I just had to drop by MPH for some books. Everyone bought a book because of my superb influence. LOL.. I love to read and I think it is just wonderful if I am able to make my brothers and B-bunz to love reading as well. The only thing is, I don't have to try hard because they've all just love reading since forever. B-bunz and I even tried our hands in writing. Funny, we both do very well in genres that we love. I'm good at Romance and he's good at Fantasy.

I bought this book - The People's Queen by Vanora Bennett.


Well, I must say, the material in this book is a little different than what I'm used to imagining Alice Ferrers is like. I've always envisioned her as this no-pretty nobody of peasant bloodline who managed to be a powerful woman at one point because she managed to crawl into the King's bed. Well, truth is, she was a scheming little slut who should've stopped when she's on top, it's just that I never think of her as a brilliant businesswoman collecting estates actually. Though now come to think of it, recalling the timeline and the things she made for herself, on her own, I have to admit she's pretty brilliant. I also always saw Katherine de Roet as this sweet girl who was out of a Convent at a young age, then got married and became John of Gaunt's paramour because of love. But then, who am I kidding right? I'm just a soppy little hopeless romantic at heart.

It's the 15th century and everybody but everybody is trying to make the most money for themselves. It was, after all right after the Black Death. Everybody is trying to make ends meet. If they can't con each other then they try to con the King by being their consort. Seriously, why would Alice become a paramour if it wasn't for the money and power? He was, at the time, already in his 60's while she was just 25! And John, although I've always envisioned him as this handsome prince who is just so perfect amongst all his brothers, he most certainly is not. He's got flaws, many flaws indeed. Plus, having lots of bastards by other women does not mean Katherine de Roet is any different than any of his other paramours. She's probably just lucky that after 20 years and her bastards (with John) have grown up and his wife had died, he chose to marry her instead of marrying his other women.

So, is that love? Maybe. Or it could also be an action born out of fear. Fear of dying alone.

Oh, but is it wrong for me to imagine that it might also be love?

When I read Anya Seton's book Katherine, it wasn't hard to imagine that it was all about love. Of course, it was a Historical Fiction book and just like Vanora Bennett, hers too was just a Fiction, although my dreams are dashed by Miss Bennett's portrayal of John of Gaunt as a promiscuous moron along with another 90% of the people in Court at that time. Yeah well, I can't deny the truth. There were many royal bastards then. Maybe they're afraid another wave of Black Death might return so they went and sleep around with as many different women they could find.

Well, maybe it's true. It's a dog eats dog world out there. The 15th century is no different than the 21st century. It's all about the money. Only money talks.

But a hopeless romantic girl like me can still fantasize, right?

♥♥♪♫¸.·´¯`·.¸♡♥♥ First Commenter ♥♥♪♫¸.·´¯`·.¸♡♥♥

16 comments:

LadyJava said...

I used to love reading... in fact i blame reading for my thick glasses now.. hehe.. but not reading as much as i like to now.. :(

LadyJava said...

Hope you are enjoying the book dearie :)

Eyriqazz said...

dah lama tak baca novel..I love Sidney Sheldon n Jeffrey Archer novel

Monica said...

happy reading Bella! i still haven't gotten around to reading all my books haha.. :-P :-P

lina said...

Sounds like an interesting book, Bella. :)

Sharon said...

Looks interesting.. Also like the description. I'm not much of a Historical Fiction fan. I like Horror genres like Stephen King.. But never late to try something new right? :-)

Mariuca said...

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Mariuca said...

Virgos are known to be hopeless romantics kan? Ha ha enjoy ur book sweetie! :D

Bella Enveeus said...

HAHA.. Yup, and am living it every day. Konon2 la nak eksyen keras hati sikit, tapi tak jadi la.. :-D Oh yeah, am enjoying each page.. :-)

Bella Enveeus said...

Stephen King's books are so damn thick. LOL! I like reading his books when I was younger, I'll always have a dictionary with me too. :-D But it's not my favourite genre. Romance used to be my favourite waaaay back when I just turned into my teens but now I'm getting a little more adventurous :-D

Bella Enveeus said...

Yes it is lina.. I don't know why but Historical Fiction books grabs my interest so much these days

Bella Enveeus said...

HAHA.. I can't have an unread book lying around.. I'll definitely finish it. Even if the content sucked, I'll still read it. Then, I'll judge if it's good or not - if it's to keep or toss.. LOL :-P

Bella Enveeus said...

Ooh wow.. Suspense is your genre yea? I'm not much of Suspense fan.. I hate the waiting game. HAHA.. I prefer Horror more than Suspense.. :-D I suka membaca, brings out the creative side in you ;-)

Bella Enveeus said...

HEHE.. I am also rabun because of my love to read in daylight and darkness. I have read in every position possible, which is why I am now short sighted. :-( HAHA Ulat buku sangat :-P

Bella Enveeus said...

Yups, I am enjoying it.. Hopefully there'll be a good ending though ;-)

Bella Enveeus said...

LJ FC! WOot woOt!! :-P ;-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails