January 20, 2011

Movie Review - Faster


Actually, I watched this movie more than a week ago but didn't have the right mood to review it. It was a premiere screening and I got a seat quite close to the screen - thanks to arriving at the cinema a little late. 

Note to self : Make sure to come before stipulated time for best seats or risk going home with a cramp neck. 

FASTER

As the title suggests, this movie shows how fast Driver (Dwayne Johnson) - after being released from 10 years of incarceration - tracked down his brother's killers from a botched bank robbery which also led to his imprisonment. However, it's definitely not going to be an easy breezy job for Driver or it won't be a very exciting movie. So, thrown into the picture to make his life harder is a Cop (Billy Bob Thornton) and a Killer (Oliver Jackson-Cohen).

 Driver

Cop
Killer (and his half-naked girlfriend)

Personally, I think the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan is much more entertaining than the whole movie. What's a Ruger? It's the gun that's in Driver's hand. I like movies that show the guys kill in one clean shot. No need to talk much, just shoot and get it over with. Things sure work easier like that in real life. You want to kill someone, you kill someone. You don't scream or yell or torture the person with endless yapping. 

After that, there's the Killer - a super smart and sleek looking dude who's also egocentric and probably slightly wrong in the head. Awesome. It doesn't matter that I hardly know who this dude was. I just love the setting he's in. The huge glass-paned house that I have always loved and imagine to have some day (oh I've got big dreams), killer cars that make me drool and a gorgeous girlfriend who knew what he's doing and is still there with him. Don't matter that he didn't get the chance to showcase ALL those beautiful weapons in his garage. They're just his trophies. Pretty much like his girl.


Other than the story line being vague and not connected to the audience much, I also did not like the flashbacks of what was the real reason to all this chase. You see, I've had a bit of an idea already  who was the snitch when the cameras zoomed in at the photo on the mantel at Driver's mom's home. There was a photo of three guys and three girls so there's no doubt that one of the girls is the one (since the guys are all dead). But having them linger in that fact for another half part of the movie was making the storyline quite stale.


Finally, they had to give Driver a conscience - which made him hesitant and finally decided not to kill the pastor whom years before that was one of the four who was involved in his brother's murder. OK, I'm not saying that's wrong. I'm sure some people DO need that sort of conscience instead of running amok and killing like nobody's business. So yeah, that was a good decision, Driver. I applaud that. 

Although I'm not a fan of this movie, I would still recommend a popcorn session at home, sitting or lying down on your most comfortable sofa and imagine yourself being in that great car or that girl (whichever you prefer). I doubt however that this movie will be one of the best Action Movie of 2011. No harm in checking it out though, right? Have a Happy Movie Session!

Movie Rating : 6.5/10

♥♥♪♫¸.·´¯`·.¸♡♥♥ First Commenter ♥♥♪♫¸.·´¯`·.¸♡♥♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails