May 02, 2011

Movie Review - Fast & Furious 5 : Rio Heist




Two days ago I was invited to the Premiere Screening of Fast & Furious 5 : Rio Heist at TGV KLCC, thanks to Nuffnang and P14G. I went there with my brother coz Bbunz works at night. The movie was supposed to start at 9pm but it started at 9.30pm instead, after a round of quizzes and winning some freebies.



Yes, this is the fifth installment of Fast & Furious. I've said before that I don't like sequels because I feel that they tend to cramp too much detail into such a short time thus making the movie seem pointless instead. Most of the time, sequels tend to divert from the main objective of the movie. The excitement slowly dies after a while especially if you're the kind of person who picks up every points laid out in the movie. You'll notice that certain parts do not fit or certain things they do have no meaning.

Like the last few installments, Fast & Furious is nothing logical. You cannot come into the cinema hoping to make sense of the plot, the script or the physics of it. You've got to leave your brains outside the cinema if you want to enjoy the movie. Coz there is surely nowhere in Hell you can steal a huge safety deposit by stringing it to the back of two cars and pull it on tar all over Rio. No, the safety deposit does not have wheels. So if some crazy kid out there is planning to pull out this kind of stunt, you're in for a huge surprise kid, coz the safety deposit won't make it out to the door. Heck, the back of your car will come off, more like it. 


Then, there's the team. OK, I know the old faces, and the new ones like Leo, Santos as Gisele (to pretty up the screen) but I thought Han died in Tokyo Drift? Didn't his car went up in flames or something back then? Hmm.. Maybe I should pop my Tokyo Drift DVD in the player again. What I didn't get is, when Dom planned the heist he said he needed a team to do certain specific things, that each player have their own job or task to do but throughout the whole movie, it looked like only Dom and Brian is doing all the heavy work. I think Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) is helping them out more instead of their "team". 

So again, the plot, the script and physics of it all should be thrown out of the window.

I had hoped to see more of Rio de Janeiro though. Sure, they took three shots of Statue of Christ the Redeemer at three different times but is that the only monument in Brazil? I'm sure there are other famous monuments or architecture in Brazil, right? And the cars, well, they're playing more with the classic monster cars in this sequel which is fine by me. I have no problem with the classics or the modern fast cars because I love them all. If only I could say the same thing with the plot.

However, I love that they're going international now. Well, some day everybody's gotta graduate from the little stuffs and make it big right? LOL! I also love the diversity in the cast. I love the big guns, the stunts and the sillyness of the guys too. If you're free and have nothing to do, you can go check this movie out. Like I said, it's not logical so don't try to think much when watching it. Just fasten your seat belt and enjoy the ride (pun intended).



This movie will be in Malaysian cinemas on 5th May 2011.

Movie Rating : 7/10

♥♥♪♫¸.·´¯`·.¸♡♥♥ First Commenter ♥♥♪♫¸.·´¯`·.¸♡♥♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails